How can you know if you want to hire me without seeing samples of my work? The simple answer: you can’t. So I’m sharing a few examples of some of my most recent work below, with some brief descriptions of what they are and why you might find them helpful.
- Teckno home page and video. This pilot educational program was recently started by Dell Ireland, and I’ve been involved in content almost from the start. It’s still very new and definitely a work in progress, but the home page content all came from me and the video there was also written and voiced by yours truly. Coming soon: Better course descriptions and some fun career infographics!
- FIRST 2020 Reveal Video – narration by Mark Hamill.
Produced by Lucasfilm to announce the theme for the 2020 FIRST competitions, this video features the background narrative I wrote to pull all four games into one cohesive story. I wrote the narrative thinking it was just background material–I had no idea it would be used for a video, and DEFINITELY no idea that my words would be read by LUKE FREAKIN’ SKYWALKER. Still pinching myself over this one.
- Mizzen by Mott. I wrote all of the copy for this introductory landing page.
- FIRST Launch 2019 Promo.The FIRST organization is built around four yearly, international robotics competitions for kids K-12. In 2019, they hired my agency client to bring all four competitions under a common theme: space. We were hired to create an overarching theme name and narrative to build a cohesive brand around the year’s events. I named FIRST Launch, created the tagline (“All systems go”), named the two competitions (“Rover Ruckus” and “Destination: Deep Space”), and wrote the narrative that was ultimately used as a base for this ad and other marketing around the events. I’m pretty proud of how it all came out. (Also, please note that this was done before Neil DeGrasse Tyson became possibly creepy.)
- FIRST 2020 Theme Presentation. For 2020, the FIRST theme was architecture, and my agency client again created names, narratives, and assets around it. This was our initial theme pitch, which I wrote and edited. The overall narrative has now been approved and plans are already underway for the 2020 competitions, which will be so much fun, I can’t even tell you.
- SANS Institute Student Success Story. As part of a new sales collateral piece, this cybersecurity training company wanted to include case studies of some of its most successful students. This was the first in a series of stories that I created for that larger piece. I interviewed and researched the student, wrote his story, and then participated in a collaborative process with Design and Management to produce this final version.
- Canary Investor Slide Deck. This is the current draft of an investor slide deck I’m working on for a client who wants to develop an app that would use machine learning and AI technology to identify symptoms of anxiety and/or depression in teens on social media. I’ve done all of the research, writing, and editing for this deck and, while it’s currently still in process, it’s a good example of my most recent work, and some of the research that goes into it.
- 4P Foods Message Strategy. I worked with stakeholders from this sustainable food company to create a message strategy that’s now being used by my agency client to design the logo, website, brand guide, and marketing collateral. This involved gathering answers from a number of people and compiling them into one cohesive message. The client’s very happy with it–and so am I.
- Writing Style Guide. This piece was written as a guide for technical writers and trainers creating content in a new, single-sourced publishing environment. Many team members hadn’t already been writing their own content and the Style Guide was meant to guide them through that transition. I left the company before this guide was implemented, so what I’m presenting here is the final draft that I proposed before my exit. It should give you a pretty good idea of my general approach to content, at least in this context.
- Vivians Muse Landing Page content. I developed this landing page content in 2014 for a local Austin client who does boudoir and fashion photography. Most of it is still in use today, but I’m sharing it here in its original format.
- CultureMap Articles/Reviews: Snake Farm and Austin with Kids. I did a stint back in 2013 as a writer for CultureMap, and these are two of the articles they published. They’re a little dated (Kiddie Acres closed last year, sniff), but they are a good representation of my past life as a blogger and columnist.
- Luminex Software Upgrade Instructions and Uninstall Instructions. These technical writing samples are a good representation of my work at Luminex, a bio-technology company. I chose short documents to keep it simple, but if you’d like to read some longer user manuals (or are having trouble sleeping), let me know and I’ll send one right over.